With heartier greens, tender grains and dressings with major flavor, these 10-ingredient salads are satisfying and warming enough for a winter main.
Tuscan Kale & Roasted Pear Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
SERVES 6. HANDS-ON TIME: 15 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES.
Maple-roasted pears and cashews adorn this hearty kale salad with chicken and a rich buttermilk dressing.
2 Bosc or Anjou pears, cored and halved lengthwise
4 tsp pure maple syrup, divided
½ cup raw unsalted cashews
3/8 tsp sea salt, divided
8 cups loosely packed torn Tuscan kale, tough stems removed
12 oz grilled or roasted chicken, shredded
2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
¾ cup buttermilk
3 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush pears with 2 tsp maple syrup and place cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cashews, remaining 2 tsp maple syrup and 1 / 8 tsp salt, stirring until well coated.
3. Add cashews to baking sheet alongside pears; roast for 10 more minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice pear and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss together kale, chicken and cheese.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, pepper and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Pour dressing over kale mixture and toss to coat. Top salad with pears and cashews.
PER SERVING (1/6 of salad): Calories: 341, Total Fat: 17 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 381 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg
Swiss Chard & Curried Chickpea Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
SERVES 6. HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 55 MINUTES.
Roasted chickpeas seasoned lightly with curry powder make a crunchy topper for this orange-infused salad.
1 15-oz BPA-free can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD
Log in, if you are already a subscriber
Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories, newspapers and 5,000+ magazines
READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE
November - December 2018