Warm aubergine, pomegranate and onion salad
5 HOURS 45 MINUTES SERVES 4 | EASY | V LC GF
A salad in a slow cooker? Once you’ve seen how easy it is to get squishy, soft aubergines without slaving over a griddle or risking tong burns over an open flame, you’ll make this again and again. Have for lunch with a handful of salad leaves, dinner with greek yogurt and grains, or enjoy as part of a meze.
olive oil 8 tbsp
pomegranate molasses 6 tbsp
runny honey 2 tbsp
coriander seeds 2 tsp
black peppercorns ¼ tsp, ground
aubergines 3 medium (about 750g)
red onions 11/2 small, whole one thinly sliced
coriander ½ a small bunch leaves finely chopped
pomegranate seeds 75g
feta 50g, finely crumbled
• Heat the slow cooker to low. Whisk together the oil, pomegranate molasses, honey, coriander seeds and black pepper. Slice the aubergines into 1cm-thick rounds and, working quickly, brush both sides of each slice with some of the oily dressing before layering up in the slow cooker with the sliced onion. Alternate layers of aubergine and onion, packing the aubergines evenly but snugly until all the slices have been used.
• Drizzle the remaining dressing all over the top, then cover with a clean tea towel before adding the lid. Cook for 5 hours until the aubergines are super-soft.
• Scoop the aubergines from the cooker onto a platter and leave to cool for 15-20 minutes or until just warm. Very finely dice the onion half and scatter most of it over the aubergines, with most of the coriander and most of the pomegranate seeds. Season with salt then toss everything gently through the veg. Toss the left-over onion, coriander and pomegranate seeds with the crumbled feta in another bowl. Scatter the feta mixture over the aubergines and serve.
PER SERVING 350 KCALS | FAT 25.8G
SATURATES 5.1G | CARBS 20.8G | SUGARS 18.9G
FIBRE 7.7G | PROTEIN 4.7G | SALT 0.3G
Slow-cooked lamb gyros
8 HOURS 20 MINUTES + MARINATING | SERVES 6 | EASY
These gyros swap the traditional spit-roasted meat for pull-apart shredded lamb and a moreish garlicky sauce.
red wine vinegar 125ml
olive oil 75ml
dried oregano 4 tsp
dried mint 4 tsp
garlic granules 2 tsp
ground cinnamon 2 tsp
black peppercorns ground to make 1 tsp
lamb shoulder (bone-in) ½ large (about 1kg)
sea salt 1 tsp
onion 1, thinly sliced
cucumber 1, thinly sliced
lemon ½, juiced
frozen oven fries 600g
flatbreads, large pittas or wraps to serve
hot sauce (optional)
garlic 2 cloves, crushed
extra-virgin olive oil 1 tbsp
greek yogurt 200g
caster sugar ½ tsp
• Whisk together the vinegar, oil, dried herbs, garlic granules, cinnamon and pepper. Put the lamb shoulder in a dish or sturdy food bag, pour over the marinade and make sure all the meat is covered. Marinate for at least an hour, but ideally overnight.
• Heat the slow cooker to low. Put in the lamb and marinade, and sprinkle everything with the sea salt. Cook for 5 hours, then up the slow cooker to high and cook for another hour while you get the rest of the fillings ready.
You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD
Log in, if you are already a subscriber
Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories and 5,000+ magazines
READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE