What You’ll Need:
½ cup raisins
¾ cup canned pumpkin
¹⁄³ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin, pie spice, pinch of salt chilled, prepackaged pie dough, ice water sugar.
What to Do:
1. Put raisins in a cup with 2 tablespoons tap water to soak for ½ hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Drain raisins and mix with the pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a saucepan. Ask an adult to cook mixture over low heat, stirring all the time until the brown sugar melts completely, there are no more lumps, and the mixture just begins to bubble.
4. Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut 3-inch circles in the pie dough as close together as possible.
5. With an adult’s help, put a small spoonful of filling in the middle of each circle.
6. Dip your finger in ice water and run it around the edge of each circle.
7. Fold each circle in half to make a pocket and pinch the edges to seal them. Make sure there are no holes in the seal or the filling will ooze out.
8. Bake the pockets on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. As soon as an adult removes the pockets from the oven, sprinkle sugar on top of each of them.
10. Let the pumpkin pockets cool and enjoy!
Makes approximately 12 pockets.
The Ugliest Pumpkin
Farmer: There were once three pumpkins growing side by side in the same pumpkin patch. Each of the pumpkins was the best at something. I don’t know how it happened or why. Maybe it was something in the soil. Maybe they got too much sunlight or too little water. Whatever the reason, these pumpkins were special.
Roundest: I’m the roundest pumpkin in the entire world. My radius is radiant. My diameter is dynamic. I’m a perfect sphere!
Orangest: No other pumpkin in the world is as orange as me! A pumpkin is just not a pumpkin unless it’s shiny and orange. Look at how I gleam in the sunlight.
Roundest: You’re crazy. Round is the only shape for a pumpkin.
Orangest: Round is the only shape for a pie! If you’re not orange, you might as well be a cantaloupe.
You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD
Log in, if you are already a subscriber
Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories, newspapers and 5,000+ magazines
READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE